I’ve been Mom-bombed twice in the last 2 weeks.
Since my mom’s been gone for over a decade, and I’ve been momming for nearly a decade, my Mom/Mom balance has been off and so these recent events left me staggering around with swirly spiral eyes, all dumbfounded and sniffly.
The first occurred when we were departing the house at the finger lake on which we spent our vacation. Do you know what happened? The woman-half of the couple who resides in the house had packed us lunch for our road trip home. Sandwiches. Pretzels. Bananas. Napkins. Juice boxes. Cookies!
I felt just like Fonzie after getting a kiss on the cheek from Mrs. C.
The next time was this past Friday, when I received my Crappy Day Present. Your what, bitch? My CDP. Rachel from Doing My Best organizes a present exchange on a fairly regular basis, with the intention of brightening up somebody’s day by sending them a care package full of wonderful stuff.
This is such a simple, awesome idea, because getting packages is FUN. And so is sending packages. It’s fun to shop for someone and compile little things and send them off and hope they will like them.
Anyway. I got my box. I decided to wait and open it when Christian and Fen were around, because Beckett is a boring audience. So I clutched it in my arms and pet it for 6 hours until they got home. Fen perched nearly on top of me while I unwrapped everything, because, yes, everything was wrapped. Even a teeny pack of gum.
Here are some of the items in my box:
1. Tazo green tea and big-ass mug. Anybody who reads my blog will know of my obsession with green tea. I practically mainline the stuff, so this was a big hit. That mug is so pretty, and nobody else in my house is ever going to be able to use it. Suckers.
2. We make smoothie pops around here like freaks, and why would you not want to make Monster Pops? Beckett played with them for a whole afternoon before we even used them, so they double as a way for your toddler/preschooler to practice fine motor skills. I wonder if beer freezes.
3. Dish gloves and veg brush. It’s always the weird things that you get in a present that are the most exciting. For the first time in my life I have been trying to take care of my hands, because I don’t want to look like a Neanderthal, so I have been slathering on gobs of lotion before putting gloves on and doing dishes. Another cool thing is the veggie brush because I don’t have one. Who doesn’t have a veggie brush? Not me anymore. I belong.
4. We had way too much fun with these last night. Pretty much everything in our house became personified, and you know how much I like when life is given to inanimate objects. Oh yes. They’re stickers to put on things.
5. OMG yarn. Any knitter knows how fun it is to collect yarn and more yarn and even more yarn. LOVE. LUUUUUUUUUUV.
This isn’t even half of what she sent me. It was amazing- candles, soap, notebook, bits, bobs, pieces, thangs.
Do you want to know the present-compiling mastermind behind this gift? It’s TWISTERFISH! Thank you for your sweetness and thoughtfulness and Mom-ness. I’m so inspired to get shopping for my next CDP.
If you want to get involved, hightail it on over to Rachel’s site and sign up. She runs the CDP exchange periodically.